Well, up until last Friday, we’d never dealt with any significant injury in our house. Ten years (that’s 21 years of living between the three kids) and no stitches, no sprains, not broken bones. Sadly, our luck ended there.

Last Friday, despite my better judgement, I decided to take the children into the field behind our house to fly kits. They were asking all week and I couldn’t put it off any longer. Despite my better judgement, I took Penny along on her long lead while Morgaine ran back to the house to get her short one. Despite my better judgement (okay, in reality, it was too quick to think), I did let go of the lead when I lost grip with the hand that was holding it short and away from the kids. In a split second, Penny had wrapped her lead around Ruadhan’s legs and pulled him down. I saw it coming and yelled “NO PENNY!”, but I didn’t let go of the lead. All I would have had to done is LET GO.

Because of this split second error in judgement, we now have a wee boy with a broken leg that will be in a cast (supposedly, we’re hoping for really speedy healing) for the next 5-9 weeks! He is a trooper. We didn’t even bring him in to the hospital on Friday evening because he was acting normally all evening besides not bearing weight on the leg. We figured it was a sprain. There was no bruising. He was moving the leg all over the place and kneeling back on it. He slept fine.

After he’d gone to bed, I started researching and asking friends about the injury and found out that some breaks don’t hurt a lot and that young children are far more likely to break a bone than sprain an ankle from a fall/being tripped. Therefor, the next morning, when wee boy awoke complaining and still not able to walk, I went to the neighbours and had him give us a ride to the hospital where the diagnosis was confirmed. I felt terrible and I’m pretty sure that I haven’t cried much more, ever, than after the children where in bed on Saturday evening. Every time I looked at wee boy I cried and at one point we had a silent cry together while I apologized for letting him get hurt.

He is however amazing. He’s had very little pain and within 24 hours he’d figured out how to get around the house on him bum. Tuesday he was commando crawling in the grass. We go back in 2 weeks for a follow up and I hope to hear that he’ll be able to be weight bearing after that. He is really quite heavy to lug around any we’ve had a busy couple days with business in the city twice this week. It hasn’t gotten to him though (the only complaint he had for the first couple of days was fear of peeing because the top of the cast would cut into his leg on the toilet but we’ve figured it out now and Ruadhan has been very busy enjoying life.

Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 1.04.32 PMJust home from the hospital and terribly sad to realize that the cast is still on and he has to wear it for quite a while to get better. He screamed at me for about an hour to take it off and then suddenly just accepted it as part of the healing. It was probably the longest hour of my life, though. 
Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 12.53.12 PM Sunday finds us decorating the cast. All the family took part. It’s going to look soooooo dirty by the time it comes off! 
Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 12.53.52 PM
One must decorate one’s face as well.

Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 12.54.37 PM Planting seeds.

Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 12.54.59 PM Doing magic.

Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 12.55.20 PM Lots of quiet games on his lap. Thank goodness for playdoh, puzzles and hot wheels cars. He even started preschool this week and is so proud of his workbook! 

I’m so glad that he hasn’t had too much pain and still mostly loves our boxer (though he is certainly more cautious around her and asks us to move her away from him quite often). I feel incredibly guilty and hope that he heals quickly and well. I hope that this is the first and last injury of this type that we’ll ever see. My poor little boy.