Today it was Liam’s turn to sit down with me and plan out his next few weeks of education. The last year has been a little bit unusual for us. Liam, who has always been precocious, found himself interested in computer programming and not much else. Sure, he read, but his desire to look into all kind of topics (religion, culture, animals, all kinds of science) virtually disappeared. Computers and fiction and that was it. Throw in a bit of a really long term struggle with fractions and we were left with a year that felt, in my opinion, a little unbalanced. Liam also ended up feeling frustrated because things that came easy to him at the beginning of the year were more challenging by the end and while a very short review of topics (or a reminder to slow down) was all that was needed. He ended up feeling less smart and arguments and frustrations ensued all around.
This year we are taking everything a step back so that he can gain some confidence again.
- Khan Academy
- Mental Math: Computation Activities for Anytime – Whole Numbers
- Think About It : Language Arts Problem of the Day
- 100 Word to Know Before 6th Grade
- 25 Quick Mini-Lessons to Teach Narrative Writing
- Finish Ancient Rome
- Start Ancient Greece
- TeenCoder: Java Programming (set curriculum)
- Skratch/Snap (free style programming)
- Nutrition 101: Respiratory, Olfactory, Visual, Auditory, Skeletal, Muscular Systems
- Write about Minecraft accomplishments every Monday
- Dishes (once a day)
- Pick up “stray toys/things” in the evening
- Sweep kitchen and living room